Saturday, May 4, 2013

A penny for your thoughts

Here we go again!
My husband and I just came back for the Super Store
and I should have known something was coming
because he sat down at the table 
and began to write.
"Let me show you what I have been thinking about" he said.
A Budget.

UGH!
Not that I am against budgets,
just sticking to them.
Theoretically, they are the bomb-diggity!
But in reality, 
it cramps my style.
Especially as the household manager,
I find it difficult to balance the groceries, 
 the bills,
the needs of the kiddos, 
and yes, 
even the occasional splurge that reminds them I am a fun, cool mom.
But he had that serious look on his face
as he laid out our monthly expenses
and our income.
Then he started using words like
"Savings"
"Nest Egg"
"Emergency Fund"
and my personal favorite...
"Retirement".
Hmph!
Who did he think he was talking to?
It takes more than that to bring me over to the dark side, buddy.
So I was just kinda nodding along and thinking about shoes
(NOTE TO MEN --  WOMEN ARE ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT SHOES)
when he pulled a fast one on me.
I heard the word POOL.
What?  Huh?  In-ground??? 
My man is gonna build me a swimming pool!!!!
Yea! Yea! Yea!
and all I have to do is watch the budget 
so we can make sure we have the money 
to do this little Do It Yourself Project.
I am not thinking about shoes anymore!
I am picturing me
(after Zumba)
by the pool with an umbrella drink.
I said, 
"Well of course we need a budget, honey.
You are so smart,
and did I mention how sexy you look today?
Let me cook you some dinner,
and slip into something more comfortable..."
So now we are on a budget.
Pay the bills, 
buy groceries out of the food allowance,
and tell the kids to get a summer job.
I love my man.
(Stay tuned for the upcoming series on How To Build Your Own Pool!
1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment